Lincoln County is the thirteenth largest in population of the sixteen counties located in mid-coast Maine. Its early history is well described as follows:
Lincoln County was the most easterly of the two counties established, June 21, 1760, when York County was first divided. Its western boundary started at the eastern extremity of Casco Bay to New Meadows River, across the Carrying Place to Merrymeeting Bay and then up the Androscoggin River 30 miles and from thence north 2 degrees west to the northern limits of the province. Its eastern boundary was the Province of Nova Scotia and extended from the sea to the unbounded northern limits of the province of Maine.
The southwest part of this new county had once been Cornwall County of the Colony of New York. All of the towns in Cornwall County had been destroyed by the Indians before 1700. The new towns of Georgetown and Pownalborough, and the districts of Newcastle and Woolwich were existent when Lincoln County was established.
The County, which once comprised more than 90% of Maine, was later divided giving portions to Hancock, Kennebec, Knox, and Washington counties. Its final boundary was established on April 1, 1860.
The County currently consists of the towns of Alna, Boothbay, Boothbay Harbor, Bremen, Bristol, Damariscotta, Dresden, Edgecomb, Jefferson, Newcastle, Nobleboro, Somerville, South Bristol, Southport, Waldoboro, Westport Island, Whitefield, Wiscasset; and the plantation of Monhegan.
Wiscasset is the County Seat, hosting the county government, courthouse, and the county jail.
In 2010, Lincoln County’s population represented 2.6% of the state’s total, with a census count of 34,457, a 2.5% increase over 2000.
Source: http://maineanencyclopedia.com/lincoln-county/ (accessed March 24, 2018)